Walk in the Park

It was one of those days, where he was waiting for her to show up. Five more minutes she had messaged, the grammar nazi that she was, typing out the number. He wondered if she would be able to find him. The park was huge and he wanted to meet her somewhere the happy kids wouldn't bump into them, somewhere where a stray football wouldn't land into their laps while they talked.

He was meeting her after so long. Well, not really that long. But it felt long. So much had happened in the few months they had been apart. So much had changed. They themselves had changed, perhaps without recognition even. He had come to the city a few days ago, but he couldn't bring himself to call her. What if she didn't answer his calls? What if she refused to meet him?

When he had finally gotten over his fear and called her, she yelled at him for delaying the call after being in the city.

If you knew I'd reached, why didn't you call me?

I thought you weren't calling because you didn't want to meet me.

And that would have stopped you?

She didn't answer but he knew what it would have been. Despite everything that had happened, she would say no.

Because he was lost in thoughts, he didn't see her walk up behind him. He didn't see her pause and look at him, observe every bit of him she could see. He wouldn't know that she was collecting her thoughts; there were so many of them, so many thoughts she'd kept aside carefully with a mental note to tell him next time she saw him.

Hey there.

He jerked at the sound of her voice. It always sends shivers down his spine, he thought. The good kind, the kind that made him feel blessed to be alive.

I'm sorry I took time. I couldn't find a taxi.

What happened to your car?

Oh, that monstrous thing? No, no. It is too big and heavy for me to handle. I'll stick to my scooter, thank you.

What happened to your scooter?

I sold it.

Why?

No reason. Thought I'd buy a new one. 

Silence ensued. There were a lot of things to be said, and yet they couldn't bring themselves to speak. He'd imagined the entire scenario differently. He'd imagined he would buy a bouquet of roses, watch her walk towards him - nay, run towards him and into his arms. They would laugh and talk and roam aimlessly around the park like they used to back where they used to live.

Did you get me anything?

Umm, no. Well, I did. But I didn't bring it with me today.

Ah, that's okay. Good sign actually. Means you plan to keep seeing me. I'm relieved.

How had things become so difficult, he wondered. Somewhere down the line, it became difficult to read each others' minds like they could so easily before, some time ago, they were starting to become strangers to each other again.

Shall we go get coffee some place?

Yeah, I'd like that.

They walked a while when she suddenly stopped.

No, wait.

Is something wrong?

Well, a whole lot of things considering the way we are with each other now. But that's not the problem now.

What is?

We're going the wrong way. There's coffee shop inside the park, rather new. I'm one of the very few people who know about it. They have books, and there's a small stream running nearby. There are cats running about the place too. You'll love it.

He loved the way she got excited when she talked about something new. He loved the way she almost said the entire thing in a single breath and the animated way her arms flew about. She still wasn't looking him straight in the eye when she said all this, but he knew she was getting there. They were.

What are we waiting for then? Let's go.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must-Read Non-Fiction for 2018: A Few Recommendations

A Summer in Aleppey

Jacobinte Swargarajyam - A Review